Free Trader: Maverick

Do Travellers Dream of Electric Sheep?

The Characters are slowly coming to the realization that all is not what it seemed to be on Walston. As they slowly revive from their waking dream (?), they are coming to the realization that not only all is not well, but where are they, and why are they here?

Note: sorry for the long gap, I was debating with myself as to whether I was capable to run this game, and I decided that I’m going to give it my best, and with everyone’s help make it a success, so here we go!

I’m also going to recruit more players via Citizens of the Imperium, so with any luck, you’ll have a full crew, so I can reduce the amount of PC NPC’s.

Comments

Lars

As you begin to examine your surroundings, looking behind you there stands a layout similiar to this:

To your left, a tube at the far end of the semi-circle opens, and you see a familiar face stumble out, disoriented,and ripping/pulling a tube and pads away from his mouth and forehead.

Kreios
Stumbling out of the tube, as your vision begins to focus, you see the above image to your right, along with a figure standing near one the tubes located to your far right.

Magnus
Your field of vision is filled with a blinding light..as the light fades, You now see in front of you what you think to be a glass wall in front of you. Your vision is still blurry, but your touch now gives you the sensation on being encased in what feels to be a gel like substance.

As you begin to feel around..you recognize a mouthpiece feeding you oxygen, as well pads attached to your forehead at spaced intervals.

 

{Magnus tries to feel along the glass for a release mechanism…}

 

Magnus

Your arms and hand are free enough to run along the edge searching for a release point. As you slide your fingers slowly along the side, you hear a beep, along with the soft clunk of a latch being released. with a hiss the door opens slightly, and you now hear klaxons going off in the room.

 

Stumbling out of the tube, Kreios sees a familiar figure on his rights. Blinking several times, he asks: “Lauren?…”

 

Lauren spaces her words to Kreios out in between klaxons in order to not have to yell.

“Yep. We should have at least a minute before someone shows up. How you feeling?”

Lauren is now calculating entrances, cover against those entrances, escape routes, and decent hiding places. (AKA a map would be nice…)

[OOC: Glad you decided to do this. If you need any help, I’m sure we’ll all be happy to provide whatever we can. Though of course I can only speak for myself.)

 

“Like hell… Lauren. Where the… hell are we?” He adds, timing his speech just like Lauren. “How’re you?”

 

Emerging from the tube, Magnus pauses for a second, then yells over the klaxons. “What the bloody hell is going on!? Where are we?”

 

Without looking at him directly (though not intentionally trying to slight him), Lauren points at Magnus and beckons him over, all while speaking to Kreios.

“No idea. Fine.” She shrugs. “Mostly…irritated.”

After Magnus joins them, she continues. “From what I…can tell,…these people…aren’t very…happy with us. We’ll need some…weapons before…we can do…anything else. Don’t know about you,…but I’m not…particularly good…with my hands.”

 

(OOC to Lorennia; You might not have noticed in the limited play we got under Montana prior to “revivification”, but Magnus is almost impossible to ‘slight’, lol)

Magnus pauses a moment at Lauren’s words. He looks around the scene with an eye towards improvised weapons.

 

[OOC: Working on a map for you all]

 

{OOC: The Map is currently rendering under the “Map” label, marked Lab Room #1]

 

Kreios, Lars and Magnus please roll 2d6.

 

[OOC: I’m probably the only one who hadn’t already figured this out, but you can drag the map with the mouse. Otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever.]

Well then, with this new abundance of information comes several clarifying questions:
1. Anything written on the chalkboards or whiteboards?
2. Is that a window next to the sink? If so, what do we see out of it?
3. Anything in with the coats?
4. What are the "A617"s?
5. Are 264-06 and -09 moveable tables like 264-04, or are they stationary?
6. Are the other 12 tubes occupied?
7. Do I have my one remaining question voucher in my pocket? (/obscure reference)

 

Rolled:

Roll: 1d6

4

Roll: 1d6

5

9 total for Magnus. Looking at the map now to see if there’s anything Lorennia missed…:)

 

8. Are there any: Hammers, Wrenches, Scalpels, Screwdrivers, Metal Rulers, Lengths of heavy cable, etc. that can be used as weapons?

 

Lars
Well then, with this new abundance of information comes several clarifying questions:
1. Anything written on the chalkboards or whiteboards?

  1. there are computations and calculations on the whiteboards. It looks like things were interrupted mid-stream. The chalkboard has an arrow drawn on it.
    2. Is that a window next to the sink? If so, what do we see out of it?
    #the window looks out into a hallway, you can see a rotating red light mounted on the ceiling.
    3. Anything in with the coats?
    #If the coat area is examined, you will find containers labeled with various names. With a bit of looking you begin to find names of the crew, along with your gear (except for the guns have been emptied of ammo)
    4. What are the "A617"s?
    They are locked glass containers with vials and tubes located within a first glance.
    5. Are 264-06 and -09 moveable tables like 264-04, or are they stationary?
  2. They are stationary.
    6. Are the other 12 tubes occupied?
  3. Who is looking?
    7. Do I have my one remaining question voucher in my pocket? (/obscure reference)
  4. Perhaps..(even more obscure answer).
 

Magnus

As you begin looking around the room, your curiosity draws you to similar looking tubes paired into groups of three that front a pair of workstations. As you look into one, at first it seems empty, but as Magnus peers deeper….he is suddenly surprised by a frozen face falling against the glass!

The face…looks..familiar..

 

Magnus will attempt to open the tube. He has no Med skill, but will call out to the others in his stentorian roar, “Hey! Help! Over here!”

 

Cool. Now all Lauren needs is to find the ammo dump. Or a green door, but they’re all yellow doors painted green. I wonder if Centrax//Pila is going to be the one with the flamethrower shooting out of his ass? Or is that Jason? Either way we’d need to find the parking garage first, I suppose.

[OOC: You can safely assume that Lauren was going to investigate each thing I asked about, though she was not necessarily going to be the first to do so.]

In any case, Lauren quickly moves to Magnus, bringing his container and tossing it to him when he’s paying attention, and peers into the tube.

 

Magnus catches the container deftly. Staring at it a moment, he turns to Lars, a wide grin creasing his face. “Thanks.”

 

Lars, and Kreios (assuming he has shaken the cobwebs out) rush over to the tube. There, peering back at them, is the face of Captain Corelli. From your best estimates (unless someone has medic, in that case roll 2d6.), there seems to be no life readings.

The three of you examine the other tubes, finding the rest of the crew of the Autumn Gold, sadly in the same state as Captain Corelli.

The rest of the tubes are empty, you see no sign of Centrax,Sarah or Fenris.

As the three of you begin to re-equip yourselves (let me know what you’re currently equipped/wearing in a forum thread I’m calling “Current Threads”, don’t forget encumberment!),
Kreios notices one of the workstations has something unusual on it.

Upon further inspection, you see a dual monitor display with text scrolling across. One screen says: “Play Me First!”, the other screen says: “No! Play me on the workstation next to the A617’s!”
The third item, is a set of playing cards, covering a panel.

 

Magnus grabs his gear, quickly donning his body armor and blade, leaving the snub and shotguns aside on a table until ammo can be located. Entering his security code, he boots up his datapad and checks the date, to see how much time has elapsed since his last entry. Then he looks at Lars and Kreios, waiting a second before moving over to the cards, neatly gathering them up. Then he examines the panel they were covering.

 

Lauren’s first move is to rummage around, pull out her body pistol, and kiss it. “They didn’t hurt you, did they?” Looking at the screen on the back of the pistol (which I assume is going to say “NO.” because of the intelligent interface), she smiles. “Good.”

Now that she has her hand back (figuratively speaking), she will don her HEV suit, sheathe her blade on her back, strap the advanced survival kit over that, place her body pistol lovingly at her hip, place the autopistol at her other hip, place her comm in her ear, strap her goggles on above her eyes, hang the respirator around her neck, and put her binoculars, defraction screen, and EM probe on her belt.

It is at this point that she checks for the extra magazine she keeps inside her survival kit, and sighs when she finds that it isn’t there.

As Magnus examines the panel, Lauren muses. “No Fenris, Sarah, Centrax, or Jason. I have a sinking feeling that we’re not going to find them, either. Not unless they’ve been here a lot longer than us.”

 

Magnus
Magnus grabs his gear, quickly donning his body armor and blade, leaving the snub and shotguns aside on a table until ammo can be located. Entering his security code, he boots up his datapad and checks the date, to see how much time has elapsed since his last entry. Then he looks at Lars and Kreios, waiting a second before moving over to the cards, neatly gathering them up. Then he examines the panel they were covering.

Upon your review of your datapad, once it boots up the date, you pad shows:
_Current Imperial Date: 053-1130.
Last entry dated: 145-1128.

You notice a bit of resistance when you attempt to pick up the cards.

Roll 2d6, add in your intelligence modifier, and let me know the total.

Lauren
As you kiss your pistol, it replies with a sigh, “at least buy me dinner first.”
“but no harm was done to me.’

 

Roll: 1d6

4

Roll: 1d6

4

Magnus rolls a rather pedestrian 8, to which is added his awe inspiring +0 Int mod for an adjusted 8.

 

Lauren laughs at her pistol. “You know you love it. How long was I out this time?”

 

Lars
Your gun attempts to wirelessly connect with the labs terminals in order to sync.
“Synching….”
“Handshake accepted”
“Current Imperial Date: 053-1130”
-“Last timestamped action, 145-1128”_
“Current Locat…”
“Warning..warning…defense virus protocols activated…disconnecting from system.”

Magnus
Your datapad, once it gives you the date, signals you that virus defense protocols are active on all terminals and it is disconnecting itself from the system to protect itself.

As you begin to examine the cards..you feel and see a very thin cord running through all the cards. As you flip the cards over, you see these cards..
A 5 of Spades
A 4 of Clubs
A 3 of Diamonds
A 2 of Hearts
The Joker
And a hand written card…

 

Immediately when putting on his helmet, the HUD snaps into action, displaying debugging and bootup information. Quickly putting on the rest of his vacc suit, Kreios adds “I very much dislike this. Anyone got any idea where we are?”
He picks up his gauss rifle, the targeting cross appearing on his HUD “At least armed…”

 

Lauren shakes her head. “No idea where we are, but I can tell you this much: Whoever introduced the virus to these computers is someone we very much want to meet right now.” She walks over to the terminal by the A617s and starts the program that is doubtlessly waiting over there.

[OOC: I have a prediction, but will keep it to myself for now.]

 

{OOC: Posts upcoming..usually my weekend’s are pretty busy..lol]

 

Lars
She walks over to the terminal located by the A617 stands, Vials backlit by a blue hue in the display cases. Sitting down at the workstation, she guides the cursor over a box marked “play”, and starts the video…

Magnus
As you begin the read the card, it says: “Your friend Fenris wagered me before his procedure commenced that you all wouldn’t be crazy enough to pick up these cards before looking at the workstation first.”
“Guess he was wrong, Oh well.”
“Goodbye.”

Jason
The inky darkness you felt yourself enveloped in gradually recedes to a cacophony of noises..klaxons..emergency lighting.
You bolt upright, wincing at the shooting pain coursing through your temples, realizing as the pain fades that you awaken in a chair…in a room..looking at a computer screen with the cursor sitting on a icon marked “Play”.
The room is about 10’x 12’. There is a desk lamp in the upper left hand corner of the desk. Directly in sight line with the lamp is a closed door. to your left sits a drafting table with blueprints on it. In the lower left hand corner is a 5 drawer office cabinet. Swiveling the chair to your right, along the wall directly in front of the desk you’re sitting at are shelves. To your upper right lies a door with a wall switch directly to the right of it, then a smaller desk, with a chair and lamp situated upon it. Finally, to the lower right of the small desk, lies another door. Directly behind your chair, are two 3 drawer cabinets.
it lays out roughly like this:

All Crew
Lars, Magnus, and Jason. anyone looking at any of the computers sees this:
*Self Destruction protocol commencing
*File destruction protocol commencing

The claxons stop their wail, and you hear a computer generated voice that chills you all to your very core.

“You now have t-minus 30 minutes to reach minimum safe distance.”

 

Rubbing his temples Jason tries to focus.
bq). Is this yet another created reality? Where are the others?

30 minutes. That sounds as a lot. He checks his clothes to get some mearings
if this is reality is attached to some of his memories. Flammarion, Antarctica, wherever, whatever…

File cabinets and doors. This sure seems low tech. He gets up from the chair and stretches, getting his joints in order. Man, how long had he been sleeping? He checks the time stamp/clock on the screen.
Then he walks over to the blueprint to see what´s on the drawing table. That should give him some idea of when and where he is. This time…

OOC: Hi ya´ll!

 

Jason

The time stamp on the computer screen currently shows the date as 053-1130. As Jason stands up, he notices his legs are quite wobbly, as if they have not been used in some time. Using the desk to maintain his balance, He manages to get to the drafting table, falling once as he bridged the floor space between the drafting table and large desk.

Upon getting to the drafting table, he sees varying blueprints, buildings, starports, spaceports, all varying degrees of facilities, but none having locations attached to them. However, in the lower corner of one marked “A617 deployment field”, you see the date of:
062-1126

 

Jason looks at his reflection in the pane over the table. Being lit by the lamp he should be able to see himself. That is if there isn´t any light on the the other side of the pane.

Four years gone by… That would count for his weak muscles and aching bones. Some regen meds would sit just fine. He stumbles towards the doors at next to the drawing table.

A617 – deployment? Next, after checking the door, he´ll go for the switch, should he have the strength to walk there without resting. His inner clock ticked away one minute from the countdown. Is this a ship or a land based facility? He closes his eyes and tries to gauge the feel of the area. Is there any vibration from life support or drives of some sort?

 

Magnus looks at the card a moment, then bursts out laughing.

“Good bet!” He says as he carefully finishes collecting the cards.

Turning to Lars and Kreios, he asks, “Try to stop the countdown or try to flee?”

 

(OOC nice to see you Syrinx!)

 

Lauren gives him a completely unreadable look. “I’d rather stop the countdown, but I’m not that good with computers. If you guys can do that, I can take a look around.”

 

“Well, I’m handy, though not by any means an expert with computers. Kreios?”

(Magnus wasn’t lying: he’s no expert. He has Comp 1, Edu 9, for a grand total of + 2 DM….)

 

Jason
Jason looks at his reflection in the pane over the table. Being lit by the lamp he should be able to see himself. That is if there isn´t any light on the the other side of the pane.

Please roll 2d6. (Add in your intelligence modifier)

This will provide the answers to the questions you are posing internally.

 

“If they’re good, no chance. And I somehow don’t believe we’ve got amateurs here.”

 

Int check for Jason: 10

 

Jason
Upon looking at yourself in the pane over the table, you notice first off that you’re clean shaven, nails trimmed. Nothing that would reflect the time you perceive to have elapsed.

As you close your eyes, you feel the steadiness underneath you. For about 10 seconds. Then you are thrown to your right by what could be taken as an explosion.

The disembodied computer voice comes back online: “Hull breach in departments 12 through 18. Sealing departments. Enemy ships approaching. Deploying countermeasures.”
“Routing power to shields and gravity systems.”

Kreios, Lars, Magnus

As the three of you examine your next move, you are all thrown to your right by an explosion. please roll 2d6 against your dexterity to keep from falling at -2 due to muscle atrophy in your legs.

Immediately after the explosion, the computer voice comes back on over the wall speakers:
Hull breach in departments 12 through 18. Sealing departments. Enemy ships approaching. Deploying countermeasures.”
“Routing power to shields and gravity systems.”

 

“So much for fleeing.” says Magnus as he picks himself up off the floor.

Roll:
Roll: 1d6

2

Roll: 1d6

4

+ 1 – 2

Magnus rolled a 5

 

Staggered by being thrown against the wall and down on the floor, Jason clambers up by getting a hold of the tall shelf. By norm, the main entry to this cabinet room should be by the switch. He aims to get the a more helpful place than a file storage.
Getting to the door he tries to pull it open.

Absentmindedly he checks his pockets for a com or cell.

 

[Dex roll 11 +3 Dex -2 penalty = 12.]

Lauren’s stance barely even seems to register the explosion, and she hardly even loses her footing. She doesn’t miss a beat afterwards. “Doesn’t look like we’ve got much of a chance either way. I’ll start searching for lifeboats and ammo.” She books it out the door and practically flies down the corridor with pistol drawn, looking for something, anything to help.

 

Jason
By norm, the main entry to this cabinet room should be by the switch. He aims to get the a more helpful place than a file storage.
Getting to the door he tries to pull it open.

You walk over to the door, grab the handle and pull. The door smoothly opens into a darkened corridor, with emergency lighting illuminating the shadows.
You have the option of heading to your left, or to your right.
Also, as you search your pockets, you find a com link, with an active connection.

Lars

I’ll start searching for lifeboats and ammo.” She books it out the door and practically flies down the corridor with pistol drawn, looking for something, anything to help.

As you are moving towards the door, you glance at the window above the sink to your left, you think you catch a fleeting glance of a tuft of hair moving slowly towards your door!

 

“Taverner, reporting in. Exiting the files room. Heading for the bridge. Moving towards the last impact. Anyone here?” While repoering he takes the right and moves quickly to get somewhere. Anywhere within this ship. He looks for anything jolting his mind to tell him where he is.

 

“Taverner, reporting in. Exiting the files room. Heading for the bridge. Moving towards the last impact. Anyone here?” While repoering he takes the right and moves quickly to get somewhere. Anywhere within this ship. He looks for anything jolting his mind to tell him where he is.

 

In a movement showing him used to explosions on boards of starships, Kreios catches himself on the rooms wall. “Everyone who’s got one, now’d be a really good time to mask up. You’ve got my comm frequency.”, he says, while taking his mask from his belt and placing the gloves. He adds “I’ll cover you, Lauren.”, hurrying behind her with his Gauss Rifle ready to shoot.

 

Magnus searches quickly through his gear until he finds his emergency Softsuit. Donning the suit, he leaves the collapsible helmet and flexible gloves in the fanny pack until needed. Blade ready, he’ll follow Lars and Kreios.

(OOC to all, Kreios referenced “shooting” while Lars is “searching for ammo”; to be clear, we have or haven’t got ammo right now?)

 

Lars. Magnus, Kreios

For cinematic effect, the action with Lars will now be shown in slow motion..
Lars reaches the door. the door slides open.
She has one foot and about half her torso into the darkened hallway..only the dim emergency lighting casting shadows off the bulkhead.
As she looks both ways, she sees a pistol, followed by an arm coming around the corner to her left.
At the same instance she, Magnus, and Krieos hear over their comms:
“Taverner, reporting in. Exiting the files room. Heading for the bridge. Moving towards the last impact. Anyone here?”

 

[OOC: That’s…actually a really good question. Marc said that the guns were emptied of ammo, not that ours was missing – but I read it as there was no ammo, and I think the rest of us did too. In any case, Lauren would have loaded her pistol if she had ammunition. To do otherwise would be like a mother not feeding her baby.]

Lauren skids to the other side of the corridor, pointing her pistol straight at the oncoming person and taking aim at her target, shouting “DROP IT NOW!”

Lauren is not joking around. She will shoot within two seconds if her target does not do one of the following:
1. Drop the gun,
2. Reveal him/herself as Fenris, Sarah, Jason, or someone else she ‘knows’ and ‘trusts’, or
3. Drop dead of a heart attack.
To be clear, that does mean she’ll shoot them if they surrender but don’t drop the gun immediately. So I might as well roll the attack, just in case.

Attack roll 9 +3 Dex +5 skill -1 low light (she didn’t put her goggles down yet) = 16.
Damage roll 9 -3 weapon = 6, +1-8 for high attack roll.

 

(OOC well, lol, then Magnus has his shotgun out, a round racked, to back up Lars and Kreios…:)

 

(OOC to all, Kreios referenced “shooting” while Lars is “searching for ammo”; to be clear, we have or haven’t got ammo right now?)

[I should have been more specific, the ammo in the guns was unloaded, but there was ammo in the containers that held your gear and weapons, however only enough to load the guns once. So, for instance, if a shotgun holds 6 rounds, that’s what you found in your container]

Lars
Lauren skids to the other side of the corridor, pointing her pistol straight at the oncoming person and taking aim at her target, shouting “DROP IT NOW!”

You see and hear the gun being tossed out in front towards you, along with a loud “LARS!!, Don’t Shoot!!”
Moving around the corner, wearing a jumpsuit similar to what all of you are/were wearing, Sarah Hodges comes into view, looking weary, confused and relieved all at once.

“So, anyone know what the hell is going on here?”

Jason
“Taverner, reporting in. Exiting the files room. Heading for the bridge. Moving towards the last impact. Anyone here?” While repoering he takes the right and moves quickly to get somewhere. Anywhere within this ship. He looks for anything jolting his mind to tell him where he is.

As soon as Jason enters the hallway, he has two directions he can head, either left or right. However, just before he decides, down the hallway and around the corner to his left he hears:

“DROP IT NOW!”

Kreios and Magnus

You both see Lars, as see begins to step out into the doorway, suddenly skid across the hallway opposite the door, level her gun towards your left and shout out:

DROP IT NOW!!

 

“Coming up from your right. Hold your fire.” Jason shouts and walks toward the shouting. Having nothing but his regular jeans and a sweater with an energy drink logo on the chest, Iso-top NRG
, over the sweater he has a multipurpose vest of pockets galore.

 

The instant Sarah appears, Lauren relaxes while simultaneously signaling Magnus and Kreios to stand down. “Good to see you. Seems like we were in a standard VR trap. If it hadn’t glitched, we wouldn’t even know. Wonder what they wanted?”

 

Sarah looks toward Lars: “I think they wanted you, at least…”
“Also, I found these..” she holds up her wrist data comp, showing video she ran shortly after waking. It is a room similar to the three, but the other tubes held more people.

Lars, please make an intelligence roll, plus any bonuses for recognition.

 

Lars, Kreios, Magnus
All hear in your comm buds:
“Coming up from your right. Hold your fire.”
It’s Jason. and he sounds close by.

 

Rolled 8 +1 Int = 9.

 

Lars

From the previous intel you were given, these tubes look as if they are filled with Maverick’s original crew!

 

All five of them?

Lauren gives Sarah one look. “Show me.”

 

Sarah presses a few buttons on her comp to expand the picture. At first she rushed by the tubes, but her curiosity pulled her back. As the camera slowly pans, you see the 5 faces you recognize, lit by the haunting blue glow from the tubes.

 

Are they dead?

Lauren nods. “We had Corelli and her crew. Do you mind making sure they’re not alive any longer? None of us are any good at that.”

 

Jason moves forward with his hands raised up in front of him, to make sure he doesn´t get shot.
“Coming around the corner…”

 

Kreios, with his rifle pointed in the direction Lauren and Sarah are not looking, comms through.
“Get over here, Jason. I won’t shoot ya.”

 

At that, Jason rounds the corner, still a bit hesitant. He nods at Sarah, Kreios and Magnus. To Lauren he asks,_ “Where are we? This is not the Maverick.”_
To himself he comments “I almost thought we were dirt-side.” He checks the room. _ “Are you guys OK? I woke up with my head on a desk…”_

 

Sarah acknowledges Lauren’s request: “No problem. Funny. my wrist comp was left on one of the lab tables, along with a monitor that kept asking to be played..anything you all may know about that?”

Sarah then walks into the lab Lauren, Kreios and Magnus were being held, and begins examining the tubes holding the crew of the Autumn Gold. It takes her about 7 minutes to check each tube before coming back into the hallway:

“At least they died peacefully, not like the crew of Maverick. With Maverick’s crew, from a general examination, it seems like they died of heart failure. like the virtual system they were in scared them to death.”

“Well, that solves one mystery. With those alarms going off, it’s time for us to be off, that’s is, if we can leave..wherever we are.”

“Speaking of, where’s Fen and Centrax?”

 

Lauren shrugs. “No idea. Fenris was mentioned in a note, though,” and she gestures to the deck of cards (Magnus is probably still carrying), “so I’ve got a few questions for him. Jason, do you think you can do anything about that damn alarm? At least mute it?”

 

Jason walks over to one of the workstations in the lab and tries to log on to the mainframe and disable the alarms. Standing, typing, his hands flying over the touch pads, Jason feels awake – for real. After a while he looks up. “Let´s see…”


Computer use 8

 

(OOC Of course Magnus still has the deck of cards; if we can’t find a way out at least we can play some Poker..;)

While Sarah is examining the tubes and Jason is checking the computer, Magnus takes up a position to watch a portion of the corridors.

 

Lauren nods. “Right. While you do that, I’ll try and find us an escape route just in case.” She walks off without another word to start exploring the surroundings.

 

[OOC: just for your reference, Magnus is only holding 6 cards]
Jason dives back into the terminal, only to see a massive data destruction protocol occurring. As he dives into subroutines, backdoor hacks, he finds that very little remains of the data base that was here.

However, he does see a single file being eaten slowly away that says “Open me”.

Does he open the file?

 

(OOC as Magnus is something of a compulsive gambler, 6 cards is enough to cut for high card, so he’ll keep them..:)

As Magnus sees Lars about to stride off, he looks over to where Jason is working on the computer. He turns back and calls out to her, “Hey Lars? Shouldn’t we stick together? At least until we get a better feel for what’s going on?”

 

(OOC: How long’ve we got circa?)

“Or at least, with someone else? I’ll accompany you, if you’d like."

 

Moving the cursor to the file, Jason activates it.“Open!”

 

Lauren doesn’t even break stride, but just comms everyone else as she’s walking out of the room. “If there’s anyone else still on this boat, they’re most likely either leaving, incapacitated, dead, or on our side. Besides, no offense but I can move faster on my own.”

As she says this she puts down her IR/LI goggles so she can see perfectly fine in the emergency lighting. She is already moving down the hallway, pistol at the ready.

 

Magnus shakes his head as Lars continues down the corridor.

“She’s probably right, but that doesn’t mean I feel any better about it.” he mutters to himself.

Double checking a round is chambered in his shotgun, he waits for Jason and Sara to finish, watching the corridors.

 

Lars
which direction are you heading? to the Left or Right?

Jason
Moving the cursor to the file, Jason activates it.“Open!”

 

Lauren will head left for starters. To her, it makes no difference at this stage. She is not trying to be as stealthy as possible, as that would take longer, but she is moving quietly. Let me know if I need to roll anything for you.

 

Jason checks the feeds and processes to discern if he successfully initiated a program or not.

 

As the program runs, an image appears on screen speaking to a monitor:

“I don’t have much time. My assumption is that this Taverner accessing this message. Your crew is safe for the moment.”
“You are on a research lab based in an asteroid field near the Aramis sector.”
“Your crew are the only ones that can prevent a castroph-…"

Then you see her body violently jerk and be thrown to your left, then another figure sits down at the terminal.

“Well, well, well..looks like you all managed to escape your virtual world, but probably not without help, I see.”
“No matter. what is important for you all to know is that a few of you, are parts to a great plan. A plan that will see the Imperium take it’s rightful place at the head of sophants galaxy wide!”
“But, to see if your crew is worthy, you will need to be tested. A stress test, if you’d like.”
“Part one, getting help from outside sources. I’d say that’s a pass.”
“Now, step two, that’s gonna be a little tricky for you.”

As he says that, Jason, you see a box appear in the lower right hand corner. this box also appears on all your computer equipment. 4 panels appear, and begin to spin. After 4 seconds, the panels stop spinning, and a combination of numbers and letters appear.

“They gave you all too much time to figure out what was going on, and..you might find find something that someone forgot to destroy.” He tilts his head towards where the woman fell. “So, we’re making this fun. The fail safe countdown to the fusion plant have been overwritten. I’m sure with time, you could possibly hack the codec, so I’m not giving you any. Every 4 seconds, those panels will spin, when the 4 digit..or are they letters? I can never remember..”

_"Anyway, when that combo shows up..well..you know."

“But to make things interesting, here are the directions to the launch bay. There’s a ship’s boat waiting for you, with coordinates already plugged in. Once you reach it, and launch, I’ll contact you again.”

“By the way, tell Lars she’s wasting time. anyone left on board is dead.”

“Time’s a wasting, Mr. Taverner.”

Another image comes on screen. the map. Actually, written directions to the bay.
The screen goes to an image, and the panels begin spinning.

 

Remembering the directions he starts using the comm to fill in the others. “I got a message from our overseers… Better head to the bay. This thing is rigged to blow no matter what we do. There´s a pre-plotted escape boat waiting for us. To somewhere.” While talking, he tries to get a panel open to pull out the hard drive of the workstation. To be scrutinized under less volatile circumstances. “We have to hurry the countdown has been tampered with.”
“Guys, this place is barren of life… they say. See if you can bring anything useful to the escape boat. The scientists of this research lab might have left something important. And they are watching us!” At that realizaton Jason stops his tampering with the workstation and leaves for the launch bay. “Follow me.”

 

Nodding acknowledgement to Jason from his station guarding the doorway, Magnus waits until Taverner has passed him and then follows. Turning one last time as he goes, he peers into the lab and looks at the tubes that held him and his compatriots.

“Just like home, baby, just like home.” he whispers.

Then, laughing out loud, he chuckles, “Not.”

His long stride eating ground, he follows Jason…

 

Very quickly, Lauren is going to try and recognize what class and generation of ship this is by the way the rooms and corridors she has seen so far are shaped. From this information, she will attempt to decipher where other nearby laboratory areas would be, because people are more likely to leave something behind where they feel comfortable. As best I can tell, this would be an Engineering (naval) check (if it’s possible at all), and an Intelligence-based one at that.

Roll 5 +1 skill +1 Int = 7. (If Edu, then she has a 6 instead.)

Having (I assume) failed, she will instead simply turn around and follow Jason. Over the comm, she makes one last call for anyone else. “Fenris, Centrax, anyone else on this ship, join us at the launch bay.”

 

[OOC: I’ve been trying to figure this out on my own and only now does it hit me that I could just ask the GM. What happened on 145-1128?]

 

“Dammit. Why do those things always have to self-destruct?“, Kreios mutters, hurrying over to the laboratory’s tables and grabbing every portable data medium findable. _”You know how long we’ll have, Jason?"_

 

“Not enough…” He hurries ahead, repeating the directions as he goes. “Four digits change every four seconds. A code of sorts. Could blow anytime… One hour at tops. There´s a 50 percent risk it will blow within 30 minutes.”

 

Lars

[OOC: I’ve been trying to figure this out on my own and only now does it hit me that I could just ask the GM. What happened on 145-1128?]

[OOC: I had to go back and look at my post. The Last Timestamped action, as the curtain of fog pulls back from your memory was you performing a routine interface maintenance on your gun aboard the Autumn Gold

“Very quickly, Lauren is going to try and recognize what class and generation of ship this is by the way the rooms and corridors she has seen so far are shaped. From this information, she will attempt to decipher where other nearby laboratory areas would be, because people are more likely to leave something behind where they feel comfortable.”

As you move quickly to your left, following the path that Sarah took, you quickly come to a corner that turns the corridor to your left again..immediately, you see two doorways to your right, with the windows of the room you were trapped in to your left. As you peer into the windows, you see 4 bodies on the floor, with what looks like a mist sitting above the floor.
On one of the tables, you see 4 personal computers, one that looks to be still operational.

Your first impression is that this is probably not a ship, than it is a labratory. Over your comm, you hear from Jason: “I got a message from our overseers… Better head to the bay. This thing is rigged to blow no matter what we do. There´s a pre-plotted escape boat waiting for us. To somewhere.”

“Guys, this place is barren of life… they say. See if you can bring anything useful to the escape boat. The scientists of this research lab might have left something important. And they are watching us!”

Over Lauren’s comm she hears an unfamiliar voice: “Do you know what happened to the curious cat, Ms Makaan?”

Lars then hears 5 sounds..the sounds over the remaining doors further down the hallway being opened, along with what she can hear as the air vents both above her, and on the floor being opened and reversed (to pump air in the hallway). A Klaxon begin to sound over her head, and the sound of recessed bulkhead doors being lowered, one in front of her, blocking the hatchway in front, and it sounds as if one is sliding closed behind her.

The Panel
The numbers 65,G,12,R come up.

The Crew

Following Jason to the right, the corridor continues down for approx 75 feet before reaching a corner (Jason recalls this was the route he took to reach the group).
But as you reach that corner, another type of klaxon begins to sound. Turning back and looking back in the direction you just came from, a bulkhead door begins to close between the party and the direction Lars took,about halfway between the two. You also hear an announcement:

“Warning!! Biohazard Containment Breach in Sector M!! Sealing Containment Bulkheads Now..”

 

Edit: The Panel
The sequence 5,G,2,R come up.

 

Lauren doesn’t even bother to turn her head – she instinctively knows a bulkhead is closing behind her. As she runs to pick up the laptop, she pulls on the hood of her HEV suit. She attempts to make it back to the closing bulkhead before it closes – though I personally doubt that’s possible.

Dex check (to make it back in time, if possible and a correct use of the ability): roll 5 +3 Dex = 8.

Assuming she doesn’t make it back, she stops in front of the door, turns on her magnetic grapples, and hopes the lab is opened to space, as is often standard operating procedure for contamination, especially biological or chemical contamination. Nothing sterilizes better than vacuum except nuclear radiation, and that just complicates matters.

Assuming that doesn’t happen, she turns on her comm again, and laughs. “Curiosity killed the cat, I know, but satisfaction brought him back. I’m calling your bluff. You knew as soon as you brought me into this that your precious secrets weren’t going to hold, and you kept me alive anyways. That means you’re either willing to accept that, or colossally stupid. I think we’d all rather believe the first one. Besides, you know full well I’m not going to work for someone I know nothing about.”

Persuade roll 10 +1 skill +1 Int = 12.

 

Without any zero-G gear, Jason decides to put as much space between himself and the closing bulkhead. Following the directions he pass the door he staggered out from earlier. Heading for the launch bay as instructed. “You getting free, Lars?”

 

Lars
what she can hear as the air vents both above her, and on the floor being opened and reversed (to pump air in the hallway).
hopes the lab is opened to space, as is often standard operating procedure for contamination, especially biological or chemical contamination.

You realize that the system is not performing it’s standard procedure in the event of contamination, it’s venting into the space between the closing bulkheads.

[OOC: I’ll allow you to backtrack an action. With your speed, you can clear the bulkhead closing between yourself and the crew, or you can enter the lab, grab the laptop, and take your chances, but you cannot do both.]

 

The Crew

Jason, as you move towards the next checkpoint, the schematics of the section you all are in come up on your datapad. To your horror you see that the rooms down the hallway that Lars went are marked as follows on the schematic:

214-Bioresearch
216-Bioresearch
218-Applied Chemical Research
and a door marked: Do Not Enter without Class 1 Biohazard Protection

and you see that the airflow has be redirected to vent between the bulkhead doors that Lars is currently between.

Based on the schematics and directions, the group simply needs to head down this hallway which ends in a tube door, which should lead you downstairs to the bay.

 

As she runs to pick up the laptop, she pulls on the hood of her HEV suit. She attempts to make it back to the closing bulkhead before it closes – though undoubtedly failing.

Assuming she doesn’t make it back, she stops in front of the door, turns on her magnetic grapples, and hopes the lab is opened to space, as is often standard operating procedure for contamination, especially biological or chemical contamination. Nothing sterilizes better than vacuum except nuclear radiation, and that just complicates matters.

Assuming that doesn’t happen, she turns on her comm again, and laughs. “Curiosity killed the cat, I know, but satisfaction brought him back. I’m calling your bluff. You knew as soon as you brought me into this that your precious secrets weren’t going to hold, and you kept me alive anyways. That means you’re either willing to accept that, or colossally stupid. I think we’d all rather believe the first one. Besides, you know full well I’m not going to work for someone I know nothing about.”

Persuade roll 10 +1 skill +1 Int = 12.

[OOC: I have given this considerable thought. The bottom line is that she subscribes to Robert Hedrock’s philosophy of heading towards her goals without regard for personal risk. And HEV suits protect against extremes of pressure, so chances are the air pumps will stop long before she’s at risk of implosion. Among other things. I need to go to work now, so I can’t elaborate further.]

 

“Lauren”, Kreios shouted as the bunkhead fell into position, launching himself in her direction. She certainly would’ve made it, too, if she hadn’t dashed forward. “Lauren, you read me?”, he commed. “I’ll try opening that bulkhead”. With that, he moved towards said, and looked for any computer or operating lever (or, possibly, mechanical override).

[OOC: Sorry for not posting yesterday; that pretty much depended on Lauren’s results]

 

Magnus watches as Lars disappears behind the closing bulkhead.

‘I like the way she goes after her goals.’ he thinks as he shakes his head, ‘I just wish she’d pick less dangerous ones.’

Then he chuckles softly as he remembers allowing himself to be dosed with unknown experimental drugs for a few thousand credits.

Turning to Taverner and Kreios, he says, “What now, guys?”

 

“Down this hallway and through that door.” He points and presses the comm send button. “Lars, those rooms are labeled biohazard and bioresearch. Tread carefully and try to get to the launch bay. If you get outside, we´ll try to pick you up.” To Sarah, Kreios and Magnus he adds. “To the left is an office. I had no time to search it. Full of paper files and schematics. We should grab them and run for the launch bay. I volunteer to get some of the papers. One of you should prepare the boat until I get down there.” He opens the office door.

 

[OOC: No problem, Lars. I just wanted to make sure I explained what was going on to you all clearly, so that there would be no crossed wires in terms of decisions being made.]

The Panels

The sequence 2, F, 8, 8 shows up. The voice comms back in over all the crews ear buds: “I am impressed, but Lars made a minor error in her statement to me; you see, this is not an audition to work for us, but rather us testing you all to see your resolve in attempting to stop us.”

“So far I am impressed with your crew’s efforts. Lars, the sequence to open the bulkhead is Alpha, Bravo, Alpha, Tango. Mr. Magnus, I would not suggest you do the same. We were working with some “bug cocktails” there that you may not want to deal with without lots of protection."

“Lars, open the bulkhead opposite your crew, then close it putting in the sequence in reverse order. When the door recesses, go down the corridor. you will reach a Iris valve in the floor. Open that valve, go down the ladder to the next floor. To your right, you will see a tube. Enter that tube and press “L”. that will take you to the launch bay."

“Jason, taking initiative, trying to find out what those papers represent. Fair enough. Tell you what, for you all, you have one more test here. I will give you exactly 15 seconds to grab what you can from our Project Engineer’s office. and get into the tube.”

“If you move quickly, you can do both in..hmmm..say.12, 13 seconds?”

“When 15 seconds has elapsed, I will open the bulkhead door on your side.”
“And the clock starts…now.”

 

Already through the door when the overseer rants on, Jason gets to the drawing table, grabs the plans and exits the room as the countdown starts. Knowing what to look for, Jason is certain that the drawing table would hold the most important schematics and the added fifteen seconds from the monologue would prove vital to his run for the loading bay.

“You like your own voice too much, Big Brother.” He says over the comm.


Time roll DEX to not fumble and fall 7

 

Lauren does as instructed, and probably has the opposite bulkhead open before Big Brother has finished speaking.

After she reaches the tube, however, she is struck by a thought. “Jason, are you guys taking a tube?”

 

“Positively, yes. Momentarily…”, Jason replies.

 

Lauren sighs, but not over the comm. “You’ll all have to head out first, then. My suit’s probably crawling with whatever these guys cooked up. I’ll have to expose myself to hard vacuum before we meet up.”

 

Jason, and the rest of the crew successfully reach the tube, seeing the door slide shut as they catch a glimpse of the bulkhead door sliding open. You all reach the launch bay, where a ship’s boat is waiting for you.

Once everyone is safely in, a pre-launch sequence is activated via the controls, the bay is depressurized, but the ship does not depart, instead, it slowly moves across the bay to a internal airlock from the launch bay and waits.

Panel
The sequence N, 8, R, 2 show up.

Lars

Jason comms you that they are aboard the ship’s boat, the bay is under vacuum, but the ship is waiting by a internal airlock on the opposite side of the launch bay. Based on your knowledge, you assess that the airlock in question is the one closest to where the tube will take you, which it does.

Panel

The sequence 1, F, F, 8 shows up.

 

Lars

You quickly step into the airlock, and the depressurization sequence begins, after 2 minutes, the light above the door goes green, and you are able to step out into the launch bay, now open to space.

Panel
Sequence 4, 5, T, T.
20 feet ahead of you, you see the ship’s boat, facing you, with Jason and Kreios signaling from the pilot and co-pilot’s seat for you to hurry, Jason holding up his data pad.

Panel
Sequence 8, 9, B, G.
Using your magnetic grapples on your suit, you move smartly, but deliberately enough so that by the time you reach the airlock on the ship’s boat, you feel confident that any viruses attached to your suit are destroyed.

  • Panel*
    Sequence R, R, T, 0.

Ship’s Boat: Defiant

Another 2 minutes in the ship’s airlock bring the pressure back to normal, with no signals of any contamination coming from yourself or your suit. As the light turns green again, you see the concerned face of Sarah holding an air syringe.

Panel
Sequence Y, I, A, 7.

“Better to be safe than sorry.” she replies.

As the two of you move towards your seats, there is a slight shudder as the ship is underway once more, and has cleared the Launch Bay.

Panel
Sequence M, F, 1, 1.
Self Destruction Activate.

 

This ends this thread. I will post a new thread either tonight or tomorrow.

 

(OOC Cool! Thanks Marc!)

 

[OOC: Very! Thanks!]

 

[OOC: Thanks, looks nice. I’ll try stepping the posting up a bit. In other news, I found a paper copy of Kreios’ stats, I’ll upload them when I find the time.]

 

OOC: Yes, good story there! Now, let´s see where we are…

Syrinx

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.